A case for going outside this Summer
10 things to do outside this Summer
Click on underlined links for further information.
1. Be like Guy Debord and take yourself on a dérive. We think you’ll enjoy exploring psychogeography:”a whole toy box full of playful, inventive strategies for exploring cities; just about anything that takes pedestrians off their predictable paths and jolts them into a new awareness of the urban landscape.”
2. Be like Karl Blossfeldt, grab a camera and get really close up with the plant world. Make like a scientist, focus on the minutae, catalog, learn about them, intimately. From that near, plants become utterly different.
3. Be like David LaChapelle and stage your family & friends in wild & wonderful settings and then photograph them. Keep your fabulous clothes on and go to the supermarket for some milk. The thrill of being an evening gown in the dairy aisle will only add to the fun.
4. Be like Richard Long and make some land art in your neighborhood. It’s free and beautiful and will be as enjoyable for you as for those around you.
5. Be like Sigur Rós and do an impromptu concert in your local restaurant or park, or stoop.
6. If you don’t have a band, borrow a guitar, grab a pal and teach yourselves this really easy song: LEARN ME.
7. Be like André and declare your love by painting a mural on a building (abandoned buildings only please)
8. Be like Spencer Tunik, round up your friends, get naked and huddle & have someone else photograph you. Guaranteed good times.
9. Ride your bike everywhere. Just because.
10. Do nothing. Just sit, close your eyes and let the sun shine on your lovely face.
Published: July 31st, 2012